If you’ve not tried to go online on your PS3 today please don’t waste your time. At current the PlayStation Network is down and there isn’t an ETA as yet. Sony are trying to rectify the problem and here’s the status updates so far;
Some consumers are experiencing a network connection failure when signing into PSN and may receive the error code 8001050F.
We are aware of this issue and it’s currently under investigation however at this time there is no estimated time to fix. Please refrain from calling your local PlayStation call centre and keep watching this space for further updates…
As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.
We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have one of the above listed models, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.
As mentioned above the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.
For regular updates please see this Official Sony thread on their forums!This is by far the worst the PSN has ever experienced but hopefully it should be live in the very near future. Stay tuned!
Note: Console Guide users please note that this link will not work, so we’ll try and update this article as much as possible.