Today marks the first anniversary of the US release of the Xbox 360 and to celebrate, Microsoft’s new Video Marketplace service is now available for all US Xbox Live users. The service allows users to download TV shows and full length movies from the likes of CBS, MTV, Paramount, Turner Broadcasting System, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and Warner Bros.
Some examples of the content available right now includes:
- CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, NCIS and Star Trek from CBS
- Chappelle’s Show, Drawn Together and Emmy and Peabody award-winning South Park from Comedy Central
- Pimp My Ride and Punk’d from MTV
- Avatar: The Last Airbender and SpongeBob SquarePants from Nickelodeon
- Skyland and Invader Zim from Nicktoons
- Chinatown, Star Trek VII: Generations, Patriot Games, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, The Sum of All Fears, The Untouchables and We Were Soldiers from Paramount Pictures
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frisky Dingo, Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, Sealab 2021 and The Venture Bros. from Turner Broadcasting
- Some of the most intense fights from Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Breaking Bonaduce and Hogan Knows Best from VH1
- Perfect Storm, Poseidon, The Shining, Three Kings and V for Vendetta, as well as The Nine and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip along with the CW show Veronica Mars from Warner Bros.
Parents worried about their children watching UFC or The Shining will be pleased to hear that the service supports the Xbox 360’s built in Family Settings feature.
But what we really want to know is how much it costs. Well, your wish is my command. First off, the Standard Definition content:
- TV Shows – 160MSP ($2)
- Newly Released Movies – 320MSP ($4)
- Classic Movies – 240MSP ($3)
…and the High Definition content:
- TV Shows – 240MSP ($3)
- Newly Released Movies – 480MSP ($6)
- Classic Movies – 360MSP ($4.50)
Remember, Movie downloads are rental only. Once you have downloaded the HD version of any content, you can download the equivalent SD version at no extra cost.
The service is available to use right now, i.e. No Dashboard Update. To start downloading your favourite shows/movies, sign into Xbox Live, go to the Marketplace and select “Media and Entertainment”. Alternatively, go to the Media Blade and select “Video Marketplace”.
Thanks to BIG D 04 for the correction.
Originally Written By: Scott Webber
Console Monster is an independent gaming website that is dedicated to the Xbox and PlayStation gamer. Established in 2005 our team of UK and USA volunteer gamers bring our readers regular console gaming articles. If you are looking for a platform to get yourself heard, we would love to hear from you!