Dreamcast classics Shenmue I & II are coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC on August 21st 2018!
Which version of Shenmue II did we port?
For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:
- Snapshots system.
- Filters Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing.
As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.
What features have we added?
As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:
- Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games.
- Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms.
- Saving anywhere in both games HD resolution rendering.
- Updated UI New post processing effects for both games.
- Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms.
What does Modern control scheme mean?
Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo.
Will the games run at 60Hz?
Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.
Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?
Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9. Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.
Can the emulated arcade games be played?
We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!