Concept images of the latest Tomb Raider leaked onto the internet recently. 4Player Coop managed to get the scoop but were quickly shot down by lawyers and the images were removed. Luckily for us the internet is a haven of information and all that private information has been recorded before the lawyers even had a chance!
What are we to expect from this new Tomb Raider then? You’d be shocked to hear the phrase ‘Open World’ attached to a TR title but it seems that Crystal Dynamics want to try something different with a young and inexperienced Lara. Another surprise is the M rating this release is expected to hold meaning the game should be trying to reach out to a more than the odd 12 year old boy and obsessive fan (ie me).
As usual the majority of gamers are pretty pessimistic about the whole idea. Lara has already had her famous Legend reboot and to see her taken in yet another new direction is causing quite a debate. Personally I’m excited to see what they have up their sleeves for Lady Croft and who knows this could be the title we have all been waiting for.
You can click on the image below for a copy of the leaked concept or scroll down further for a copy paste of the content.
“When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows.
“With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island’s past.
“As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.”
* Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
* Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
* Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter’s ultimate weapon, the bow.
* Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat game play options.
* Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
* One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
* Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft’s transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island’s mysterious past.