UPDATED: Black Xbox 360 Confirmed?
Those Black Xbox 360 rumours just won’t go away. The April issue of Game Informer claims that Microsoft will be releasing the Black Xbox 360 with an HDMI port and HDMI cable and 120GB HDD in late April for around $479 (approx. £244). The magazine also states that Microsoft will be releasing the 120GB HDD separately less than $200 (approx £102).
Kotaku has a couple of scans from the magazine, as well as confirmation that this isn’t an April Fools joke, which you can check out here. So what do you guys think about the possible Black Xbox 360? If you already own a 360, would you buy the updated version? If you don’t own a 360, would the Black one make you want to buy one? Let us know in the comments box below.
UPDATE 1 (21/03): Engadget has some more details, from “trusted sources”, on what it says will be called Xbox 360 Elite.
- The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
- The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
- Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
- Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
- We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
- Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
- Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
- The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled — Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
- There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).
Originally Written By: Scott Webber